Tuesday, February 10, 2009

We have a floor! (almost)

Monday and Tuesday I worked on the concrete crew. We are pouring the entire floor for the assembly hall! It is so exciting. We have so many volunteers visiting from out of state. People are coming from Cali, Florida, MA, Illinois, etc. The whole process really is fascinating. It is amazing also to see how everyone works together and the work gets done- FAST! The pour only takes a couple hours. That is the fast part. My job was really fun and VERY messy! I got concrete splattered all over me. I was wearing this vibrating machine that had a long tube when stuck into the wet concrete helps it to settle better without any gaps. The machine is so heavy though that Jessica and I had to take turns using it.





The part that takes a really long time is the finishing. Over and over, smoothing and leveling using different machines and by hand. Some of the brothers stayed until 10pm on Monday finishing. But when it is all done, it is so smooth it reflects like glass!






Here are a few pics of some of the people I worked with these last two days:-)








No comments: