Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Writing Tips

I love to write- but I can never think of things to write about. I have spent much of my life starting but never finishing diaries and journals. I would usually last about a week writing every day, but then either get bored or impatient or run out of things to say. I bought this book called "The Pocket Muse- Endless Inspiration" by Monica Wood. It is a book filled with ideas of things to write about. I thought I would post some of the ideas in there if any of you have the same problem that I do. So here are some ideas:

Open an imaginary door. What do you see?
Write about something on the verge of collapse: building, bridge, marriage, contest, institution, alliance, certainty.
Write about the last piece of something- pie, real estate posterity- and the two people who want it.
Write about a household item that becomes the source of a family war.
Whats the most you ever paid for something you didn't want? Why?
Recount the history of a vehicle you once loved.
Write about somebody else's mortification.
Write about a friendship that failed you. Write about a friendship that you failed.
Write about confinement: physical or mental, welcome or unwelcome, imaginary or real.
Write about a man seeking safety from a woman who is not safe.
Write about the one who can't resist applause.
Write about the one who got away- and regretted it.
Who told the stories in your family? Why them?
Write about the last time you jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Write about a glad-handy blowhard who meets his match.
Write about a human system whose key person has just checked out.
Write about someone who misinterprets a compliment.
Write about finally giving in.
Write in the voice of someone talking absurdly fast. Why the big hurry?
Write about a fragile connection.
Write about something useless and beautiful.
Write about a pet with a job.
Write about the first day of your last job. Write about the last day of your first job.
What if you finally did what you've always wanted to do?
Write about stinginess disguised as generosity.
Write about the elephant in the room.
Write about the last time you conversed with a stranger.
Write about an outsider in a convention of fanatics: trekkies, barbie collectors,etc.
Write about a guessing game that goes wrong.
Write about the day before the disaster.
Write about a journey with an uncertain destination.
Write as sympathetically as you can about someone who gives you the heebie-jeebies.
Write about two people trying to fit into a space (physical or metaphorical) meant for one.
Write about someone who accidentally destroys something irreplaceable.
Write about the first one to quit.
Write about a delivery that goes astray.
Start with the day that was different.
Write about what got left behind on purpose. Write about what got left behind by accident.
Write about a beautiful evening ruined by a bad joke.
Write about a painful loyalty.
Write about the first guy in line.
Write about discovering an unexpected vice in someone you thought you knew well.
Write about the painting beneath the painting.
Write about a collection that pleases one person and enrages another.
Write about a found book that changes everything.
Three people. A cold morning. One vacant movie house.
Write about a shocking discovery (not a body) in a fallow field.
Write a scene in which a woman, under no threat of bodily harm, is forced to empty her purse.
A woman on a beach, dressed in black, shouting a single word into the ocean.
Begin with a smell that brings it all back.

4 comments:

Joellyn said...

I'd just like to point out that you wouldn't really want to 'finish' your diary. Because wouldn't that mean you died?
Those writing tips look really interesting. I'll have to try a few.

editor said...

Diaries are there when you need them. I go in and out of writing phases; phases when therapeutic outlet is necessary. I never go back to read entries. I wonder if I would learn from them, or just get stuck on something that bothered me at the time I wrote it.
I actually did have a really good essay/short story topic and it has vanished because I didn't capture it when the idea was fresh. I really wish I had written it! It was about the good things Canadian winters have to offer and it was extremely metaphorical. O muse!

Sabrina said...

I like this a lot. Part of being a good writer is working your brain to think of things you wouldn't normally write about.
I'll probably use these at some point. :)

Anonymous said...

That really makes me want to start writing. Im going to CVS right now to purchase a notebook...